Texas Veterans Commission
Opportunity Title: Health Care Advocate
Location: Austin, TX
Closed Date: 05/29/2018
Job ID: 18-83
ABOUT THE COMPANY
The Texas Veterans Commission will aggressively advocate for Texas veterans, their families, and survivors. The Texas Veterans Commission will provide quality service through nine program areas: Claims Representation and Counseling, Veterans Employment Services, Veterans Education, Communications and Veterans Outreach, Veteran Entrepreneur Program, Health Care Advocacy, Veterans Mental Health Program, Women Veterans Program, and the Fund for Veterans’ Assistance. The Texas Veterans Commission will provide quality service through a dedicated, professional, and well trained workforce.
As a member of the Healthcare Advocacy Program team, this position will act as a liaison between Veterans and the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) to resolve access issues involving VA health care related services. This position serves as the liaison between the patient advocates, patients, staff, and the community regarding the patient experience, patient rights and advocacy while assisting patients in understanding their rights as well as their responsibilities. Performs senior level review of issues and concerns shared by Veterans, spouses and family members while working with management and employees of the VA to facilitate resolutions. Work may involve contacting Veterans, spouses and family members to gather all pertinent information, working closely with VA patient advocates and VA personnel as well as thoroughly documenting and tracking all facilitated activity.
- Reviews all supporting information for complaints from Veterans and develops plan for successful resolution in a timely manner.
- Consults Texas Veterans Commission staff, VA patient advocates as well as medical and legal staff to gather pertinent evidence to resolve Veteran healthcare related issues.
- Understands and applies Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) rules and regulations when reviewing VA documents and Veterans’ medical information.
- Understands and is experienced navigating the VA Healthcare System, including working knowledge of medical terms and VA Healthcare System resources and routines.
- May counsel and assist Veterans and their families in obtaining benefits, rights, entitlements and other supportive services.
- Ability to work independently, analyze and solve problems; research, gather, and document information; determine best course of action to solve Veteran’s concerns; and to communicate effectively with all parties involved.
- Work hours other than 8-5 required for work related functions.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in social work, business management, or a related field. Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year to year basis.
A minimum of two (2) years of experience working with health care providers and staff to help resolve patient concerns, and experience within the VA Healthcare System is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of VA rules and regulations.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Exemplary critical thinking skills.
- Skilled in the use of personal computers. Microsoft Office Suite strongly preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality under HIPAA standards.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to interpret laws, rules, and regulations applicable to navigating the VA Healthcare System.
- Ability to maintain efficient and effective relationships with stakeholder.
- Ability to work well in an independent setting with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and all levels of authority.
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment.
- Experience working within the VA Healthcare System is strongly preferred.
- Experience in processing, developing or adjudicating VA claims for benefits preferred.
- A valid Texas Driver’s License is required.
- Honorably discharged Veteran is strongly preferred.
All applicants must meet NextOp’s minimum program requirements:
- Post 9/11 Veteran
- Honorable Discharge
- Able to pass a Background Check and Drug Screening
- Have a Valid Drivers License and Driving Record
- E-7 and Below